Croeso i Gymuned Mandriva!
- Pam defnyddio Mandriva Linux?
- Do you have to be an expert to use Mandriva Linux?
- How do I install Mandriva Linux?
- If I can download Mandriva Linux for free, then why should I buy it?
- What is an RPM?
- Can I use my software and drivers for Windows under Mandriva Linux?
- Not all my questions were answered here: where else can I find help?
- How do I take the leap and migrate to Mandriva Linux?
Pam defnyddio Mandriva Linux?
- Am ei fod yn gost effeithiol. Mae mwy na 4000 o raglenni wedi eu cynnwys o fewn Mandriva Linux, o feddalwedd swyddfa sy'n cydweddu a Microsoft Word ac Excel i gemau, gyrrwyr fideo a a sain, meddalwedd cyngrheiriol, mur cadarn hawdd ei ddefnyddio, amlgyfrwng, golygu photos, nifer o raglenni e-bost, animeiddio 3D a mwy.
- Because you will be protected against computer viruses! In the last 10 years, few network viruses affecting Linux have been reported, and none have been spread over the Internet. It is not currently necessary to install antivirus software on Linux at home (though, of course, free antivirus software is available). The infamous .exe or .dat virus programs, pernicious under Windows, have no effect under Linux.
- Because you will be within the law. Be honest, the operating system controlling the market and its main applications are often used in an illegal way. To use Linux means to be back within the law.
- Because Mandriva Linux can do everything or nearly everything.
- Because its installation is one of the easiest among Linux products (only a few clicks).
- Because Mandriva Linux is available in more than 60 languages!
- Because Linux follows open Internet and computing standards. You can be sure that you will be able to access and read your files for several years to come.
Do you have to be an expert to use Mandriva Linux?
No, beginners can start using a Mandriva Linux distribution with just a few clicks. Linux's graphical interface is similar enough to other major operating systems that you will feel comfortable in no time. System configuration is not difficult either. Mandriva includes several graphical tools so you can easily configure your desktop and system settings. The time when only experts could use Linux is over!
How do I install Mandriva Linux?
See theand pages on the Mandriva Wiki.
Once the installation is complete, you can add Internet repositories for the Mandriva software installer to find updates and applications that do not fit on the CD / DVD sets. To assist you in this, see thepage on the Mandriva Wiki. To install software from Internet sources we recommend a broadband internet connection, as the files are often quite large.
If I can download Mandriva Linux for free, then why should I buy it?
The commercial edition of Mandriva Linux, Powerpack, contains exclusive commercial software you can only get in a paid-for copy of Mandriva Linux. For details, see theon the official Mandriva web site.
What is an RPM?
RPM (Red Hat Package Manager) is a file format used by Mandriva to install software. These files are also called "packages". To install software, just search and install it using the graphical tool provided with Mandriva, called rpmdrake - found in Mandriva Control Center as "install software", or System / Configuration / Packaging / Install Software on the system menu. You can also browse the web, download the RPM and double-click on it. It is not recommended to use an RPM package unless it is listed as being compatible with the exact version of Mandriva you use (do not use packages designed for other Linux distributions, or for a different version of Mandriva).
Some RPMs need other ones. These are referred to as dependencies. Mandriva has improved the RPM system in order to automatically install all needed dependencies if you use the recommended tools (rpmdrake or urpmi).
Can I use my software and drivers for Windows under Mandriva Linux?
- Linux is a full-fledged operating system. That is why programs written for MS Windows (i.e., .exe files) are not suitable for running under Linux, and programs written for Linux do not work in MS Windows. However, if you cannot find what you need within the available packages for Linux, some solutions may enable you to run Windows programs (e.g., Wine, Win4Lin, Crossover Office, Qemu, VMWare, dosbox).
- For the same reason, Windows drivers do not run under Linux (with some exceptions: for instance, there is a wrapper driver called 'ndiswrapper' which allows Linux to use some Windows wireless network card drivers in order to support hardware for which writing a Linux driver is difficult or impossible. Mandriva includes ndiswrapper and will help you to configure it if no Linux driver is available for your wireless card). Mandriva natively supports a wide range of hardware, but sometimes brand new or unusual hardware may not work correctly. This happens especially if the company that developed the hardware does not co-operate with the open source community to make an open driver available or does not provide its own proprietary driver for its product. Therefore you should only buy hardware from manufacturers who support Linux. You can refer to the to check if your hardware is supported by Mandriva, or plan future hardware purchases.
- You can also run Linux as an application under Windows (instead of running it as the master operating system) by using the program or by using a 'virtual PC' application like , which creates a virtual machine inside your running operating system. Virtual PC applications can also be used to run Windows inside Linux.
Not all my questions were answered here: where else can I find help?
- The contains a lot of information and documentation that can help beginner users. The Knowledge Base (see below) is being merged gradually into the Wiki.
- The is a good reference source. It contains articles on all Mandriva Linux-related topics.
- The is available in boxed sets or for Club members to download.
- There are several Internet forums where you can find help, including the .
- There are (LUGs) all over the world; it's likely there is one near to where you live. Joining your local LUG is a great way to meet knowledgeable Linux users.
- There are for Mandriva Linux users, Newbie and Expert. By subscribing to one of these and posting your queries you will get a quick response from the Mandriva community.
- For other places you can visit, see the on the official Mandriva web site.
How do I take the leap and migrate to Mandriva Linux?
- You can download a free edition of Mandriva Linux at . You can buy a commercial edition of Mandriva Linux (box or downloaded version) at the from just €39 or US$49. The Store also offers a Powerpack subscription service, which gives you one year of access to download Powerpack editions of the latest Mandriva Linux releases.
- Insert the Mandriva Linux CD or DVD and let's go!
Version 1.56 last modified by on 17/03/2008 at 22:37